Skip to main content

Featured

Golden Cloud

via Instagram https://ift.tt/2Je4P64

Meatless Monday - Easy Low Sodium Vegetable Curry with Chick Peas

It seems like everyone has some special dietary needs. People with high blood pressure concerns are encouraged to eat a low sodium diet.  I normally don’t add much more than a pinch or two of salt to my meals but when I was cooking for my mother when she was released from the hospital I needed to cut out all salt.  That’s not a problem, mom had a really well stocked spice rack.

Since life was a bit hectic while I was visiting I made this dish with frozen vegetables and it received lots of complements. Still, if I were making it at home or at a less busy time I’d take the effort to use fresh vegetables. I could tell the difference.  Nobody missed the salt.

Vegetable Curry with Chick Peas
 Ingredients:

Mixed winter vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrot blend)
1 baking potato, cut into bite sized pieces with the skin on and scrubbed
1 16oz can of chick peas (garbanzo beans)
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1-2 TBS olive oil
2 cups cooked rice (optional)

Directions:

Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and then the spices, stir for about 30 seconds then add the vegetables and potato, stir to coat. Cook for about a minute then add the chick peas.  Heat until the liquid from the chick peas starts to bubble then reduce heat to low.  Simmer until the vegetables are heated completely.

Serve over cooked rice if desired.

The bowl was made by Berkshire Pottery.

Check out the gallery page - Future Relics Gallery by Lori Buff

Comments

  1. Looks delicious; I've always know chick peas as garbanzo beans, are they the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a perfect dish to serve to vegetarians and omnivores alike. I would just put out dishes of chicken or shrimp along with the other condiments.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you’ll choose not to put out the meat on Meatless Monday, it kind of defeats the purpose. Hehehe, enjoy.

      Delete
  3. I have a recipe for something like this, except it uses coconut yogurt too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts