|The Start of a Raku Kiln|
|Ceramic Fiber Cloth|
I rolled out some of the fiber cloth then pushed the bottom of the trash can down on it to make an impression of a circle the size of the bottom of the can. It's not easy to draw on this cloth with a pen or Sharpe but this was actually easier than tracing would have been.
I cut the cloth with some surgical scissors I got from a friend who's a nurse. They worked really well.
|Cut Cloth With Surgical Sissors|
I measured across the top and the bottom of the can then did some quick geometry calculations to get the circumference of both places. This way I'd know how much cloth to cut. The cloth was tucked inside the can then held in place with clay buttons that were held in place with high temperature wire.
|Raku Kiln Buttons|
Three pieces of soft brick made the posts and one made a flame deflector. But when I came time to install the shelf I realized it was just a tad too big because of the thickness of the fiber cloth. More bad words and I was able to find enough pieces of shelf to cobble something together. Yay, the cussing seems to help (kids, don't try this at home).
I have an old kiln that I've been using to scavenge parts. The stand and kiln bottom seemed like a good place to put the raku kiln for firing. It was a little tall because I'm vertically challenged, but it worked well otherwise. I suspect I could just put it on a few cinderblocks also.
|Firing the Raku Kiln|
I had to use a piece of soft brick for the chimney damper since I used all the old kiln shelf for the shelf. I will get a new shelf that fits before I fire it again.
I did a ferric fuming for the first firing. I don't use a pyrometer for this type of firing, I just watch the aluminum foil and stop the firing when the foil changes from shinny to flat.