The first piece I unwrapped must have been a piece I made for an assignment in High School. I could not guess all the details of the assignment but I made this covered bowl where the lid is covered in flowers.
Both the lid and the bowl are wheel thrown, of course the flowers are slab built and attached to the lid which seems to be unglazed, it only has underglazes for color so it's got a very matte finish. The bowl has been fully glazed.
When I look at the piece I see the very beginnings of the casserole dishes I throw now. That in itself makes me feel like it was a good assignment. I really do like the difference in finish between the lid and the bowl but it's awkward to remove the lid due to the size and lack of a lug or a handle on the lid. If I were to recreate this I would try to encorporate a handle. I wonder how I would do that without making it really obvious that it is a handle. Maybe a flower that is a bit higher. Ah, it's coming to me, I can see what I would do.
Maybe recreating some of these old pots would be really fun. We shall see what the future brings.
Check out the gallery page - Future Relics Gallery by Lori Buff