Skip to main content

Featured

Golden Cloud

via Instagram https://ift.tt/2Je4P64

Collaboration With The Kiln

One of the joys of wood firing is how the kiln decorates our pots. I don't like to use too much glaze on any pots that I'm putting in the anagama kiln because I really enjoy how the decoration from the flame treats the surfaces. It tells a story about what has happened in the kiln. I love that story.

In this most recent firing at Roger Jamison's, I made pots from some porcelain that was given to me. I have rarely used porcelain, I usually work with stoneware clays and they are rather different materials. They feel different when they are thrown, they dry differently, and they look different once they are fired. Porcelain is a beautiful white that can be so thin it's translucent. I can throw thin, but not that thin.

Ceramic Wood Fired Porcelain Vase by Lori Buff
Wood Fired Porcelain

I think I may have thrown some of these pots a little too thin, they moved in the kiln. I can picture them dancing in the heat. After the firing, someone said, "I'm sorry about what happened to your porcelain." The thing is, I find them quite beautiful. I'm reminded that this piece of pottery, that is now rock hard, was very soft and malleable a few times in its life. I feel like these pots have lots of motion in them that many of my other pots don't have. I love them and they are giving me something to think about.

via Instagram http://ift.tt/2pwgNzr

Comments

Popular Posts