Skip to main content

Featured

Golden Cloud

via Instagram https://ift.tt/2Je4P64

Give Me My Props

Happy Halloween Everyone.

It's time to make more soap and sponge holders.  They are a continual seller so I make them throughout the year but around this time of year I start stocking up on them.  I do this not just because the holidays are coming and people like to give them as gifts but because I'm going to be in the Decatur Holiday Marketplace sharing a room with my friend Marci Scharko who makes Turnrow soaps.  We both put out these soap holders with her soaps in them and people see the instant gift potential.  We both do well.

Ceramic Sponge Holder by Future Relics Pottery
Soap or Sponge Holders

During the rest of the year I display them with a bright and happy sponge (it travels well) but they don't sell as well.  I suspect it's because a pleasantly scented, handcrafted soap conjures up the idea of a long, luxurious bath or a hot, steamy shower, the sponge makes us think about washing the dishes.

It's the same piece, it can be used either way, buy two, one for the kitchen and one for the bathroom -they really are not expensive.  It's simply that when the really nice soap is used to convey the use of the pot people flock to them.

What props do you use or like to see when looking at pottery?

Don't forget to pop over to Mudcolony.

Check out the gallery page - Future Relics Gallery by Lori Buff

Comments

  1. props definitely help sell the pottery, like a spoon on a spoon holder, I use an antique slotted silver spoon with some tarnish on it and it really draws folks in, I also use bright silk flowers but some folks wanted to buy the flowers, lol, ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This interesting because I've never sold a vase that has flowers in it but have sold LOTS of empty ones.

      Delete
  2. I know, soap and sponges get so ICK don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not if you have them in a well designed holder that lets the air get at them so they dry well. Michèle & I have similar designs in our holders and people love them.

      Delete
  3. I never thought of sponge holders holding soap! I use sponges and bathroom size Dixie cups for props. It was a customer that told me that they make great bathroom cup dispensers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of them for holding Dixie cups, thanks for that tip.

      Delete
  4. Props make such a difference! Filling my berry bowls with plump strawberries is always a winner for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea. How do you keep from eating all the berries yourself?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts