Skip to main content

Featured

Golden Cloud

via Instagram https://ift.tt/2Je4P64

Carving Tool

My wiggle wire broke.  It's a tool I use a lot, I guess it just wore out.  No problem, I can easily get a new one from my favorite potter's supply store, Atlanta Clay.   The thing is, I am really pretty frugal and hate to throw away anything that still has a useful life.  No, I don't need to be on an episode of "Hoarders."  If it's trash it's trash, if it's not then put it to good use.

I made a tool.  I like carving into the sides of some of my pots.  The carvings are interesting and the way the glaze breaks and pools around the carved areas adds another layer of interest that I really love.  Another nice feature of a carved pot is that you get a little better grip when holding it.  That's the functional part of that decoration.

I took a cheese slicer and replaced the solid wire with a length of the wiggle wire.  Yes, it would have been nice if the cheese slicer had a broken cutting wire so I was salvaging two broken pieces but that never happens in my world.  I also put a small drop of glue on the rolling piece.  I tried it without gluing that piece and it didn't work well.  I think the soft clay catches on the roller too much.


Wiggle Wire Tool
Now I've got another tool to make fun lines on my pots.

Have you ever made your own tool?

Have you read the blogs in my blogroll and on Mudcolony yet?

Check out the gallery page - Future Relics Gallery by Lori Buff

Comments

  1. I like the way you recycle old tools into new.
    I make may own cut off 'wires' from various tests of monofilament line, texture wires from various springs.... drill dowels to make handles..... popsicle sticks can make great small tools as they are easily cut and sanded.
    Sometimes buying a tool is the only option, but it's fun to make them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some great ideas. No wonder you're the smartcat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really! She is!
    I think potters look at the world with a different eye.
    How can I use this..... I once told Mark to take nothing else out of the kitchen without asking first.
    Then I handed over my biscuit cutters, all 3.
    Guess who cuts out biscuits with the top of a glass.

    Yep, that would be ne.
    We also lost one of those wire thingys and it has yet to show us when it went...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meredith,

      Biscuit cutters are great pottery tools, Mark knows his stuff.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts