Skip to main content

Featured

Golden Cloud

via Instagram https://ift.tt/2Je4P64

Morphing Pot

The original idea of this piece was to make a pitcher with an added spout. I've done this in the past and have made some really fun pitchers. But when I put the spout piece on the body in order to figure out how to cut it the pot seemed to want to be a vase.

Who am I to make these decisions?  The clay can figure this stuff out for itself.

Pottery vase in progress by Lori Buff
Vase in Progress

I'm not sure I'm going to leave it this way. What do you think?

This is what happens when you're an artist. You start down one road then, something pulls you in another direction. Sometimes it is right to follow that direction, sometimes not. Thankfully, with clay, you can add or remove components pretty easily compared to something like marble sculpting. And if the whole idea fails I can always recycle the clay if I haven't yet fired it.


Comments

  1. I don't think I would change it. I think it will look terrific with tall flowers in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I’ll take your advice.

      Delete
  2. I like your new background, very dramatic. I intentionally made a vase like that out of a porcelain that I was trying...testing basically to see if I wanted to use the more expensive stuff. And since it didn't want to pull up as tall as what I usually use, I did this trick on purpose. Now I want to see what your pitchers look like...I bet they're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, I will defiantly be making more of the 3 piece pitchers so stay tuned.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts