Skip to main content

Featured

Ground Breaking

Reuse, recycle, reduce. We hear these ideas all the time and I tend to think they are good ones. It comes in especially great when someone gives me an old kiln.  That is exactly what happened when the electric kiln that we used for cone 6 glaze firing gave up the ghost at Callanwolde. It’s a good size kiln, much bigger than my electric kiln but I’m not interested in rewiring this one. You may remember I did that with my electric kiln when I installed the kiln sitter (you can read about that here) which I got from another free kiln.

My plan for this kiln is to make it a reduction kiln since that is the look I like best for my pots. I am even considering adding a stoke hole so I can feed some small piece of wood into the kiln for some ash and wood effects.

Before I can start converting it into a gas kiln I need to build a kiln shed. My current kiln room is fine for the electric kiln but it’s too crowded to add flame to the mix. I’m designing a simple lean-to type shed that will have a m…

Meatless Monday - Wild Rice Pilaf with Almonds and Cauliflower

When I was first leaning how to cook I wasn’t very good at it. Actually, I was terrible and I burnt quite a few meals. The joke was that when the smoke detector went off I knew dinner was ready. The thing is, some things are really delicious with a little char. It’s why we like foods cooked on the grill or blackened. The burnt butter in this recipe adds a layer of deliciousness similar to a char from the grill.

This recipe makes a terrific dinner on it’s own but you might want to make extra because the leftovers make a great lunch or side dish. I found it to be quite a satisfying meal.

You can make the rice ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator since it takes about an hour to cook.

Ingredients:

4 Tbs olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 1/4 cupswild rice
3 cups vegetable broth
1 cauliflower, stems trimmed, cut into small florets
1/3 cup chilled butter, diced
1/3 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp Sherry vinegar
Finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon, or to taste
Garnish with chopped flat-leaf parsley and mint

Wild Rice Pilaf with Almonds and Cauliflower by Future Relics Gallery
Wild Rice Pilaf


Directions:

  • Heat 2 Tbs oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and fry until tender (4-5 minutes). Add rice, stir to coat, then add stock and 1 cup water. Season to taste and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and cook until rice is tender and stock is absorbed (1-1¼ hours). Remove from heat and stand covered to steam for 15 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C and toss cauliflower with remaining oil in a bowl and season to taste. Spread on an oven tray lined with baking paper and roast, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden (45-50 minutes).
  • Cook butter in a saucepan over high heat, swirling pan occasionally, until nut brown (4-5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in almonds, vinegar, rind and juice.
  • Serve pilaf warm topped with cauliflower and herbs and drizzled with burnt butter.

Check out the gallery page - Future Relics Gallery by Lori Buff

Comments

  1. I do love the nutty flavor of wild rice and have tried black rice, the forbidden rice of china, which is also good. I swear you are going to convince me one of these days to get some cauliflower, hasn't happened yet but there is still a chance. ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it, pick up a head of cauliflower and a frozen pizza, at least you’ll have a back up plan.

      Delete
  2. This sounds and looks absolutely delicious.. I love cauliflower.. yum!

    Thanks for your visit to my blog. It's always nice to see a new face. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary, likewise, I’m sure. Let me know how you like this recipe if you try it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts