Skip to main content

Featured

Golden Cloud

via Instagram https://ift.tt/2Je4P64

Working For The Weekends

One thing about being an artist is that weekends don't have the same impact that they do for people who have corporate jobs.  I assume this is true for anyone that really loves what they do.  However, today I'm anticipating the weekend as much as most other people, just for different reasons.  Tomorrow is Christmas for me and the other potters that were involved in firing the wood kiln at Hambidge last weekend.
Peeking in the Wood Kiln
As always I hope my pots look good but it doesn't really matter.  I love wood fired pots made by other people as well.  They have a certain look to them that speaks of the fire and the earth.  They tell a story.  I know, no matter how my pots look, I'll be doing a lot of ooohhh and aaahhhh.

Then next weekend will be the East Atlanta Strut which is always a fun time.

Check out the gallery page - Future Relics Gallery by Lori Buff

Comments

  1. I hope that the kiln gods were good to you all! I agree with you that when wood firing you have to learn to accept that not every pot will be great, and many times re-firing gives them a second chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele, the kiln gods were good to us. Actually the only pot that I'm really disappointed with is the one that was re-fired but it was way in the back of the kiln, not a sweet spot usually.

      Delete
  2. You're right Michèle, if you get one good pot out of the kiln you can call it a success. I was at Penland when Peter Callas was unloading the wood kiln (http://futurerelicsstudio.blogspot.com/2013/08/opening-penland-wood-kiln.html) he had pots that had been through 3 firings before he was happy with them. Nice guy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. They came out great Gary (see my reply to Michele). I'll post some pictures during the week.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts