Skip to main content

Featured

Golden Cloud

via Instagram https://ift.tt/2Je4P64

Asheville

You may remember that I mentioned going to Asheville, NC in a recent post.  Thank you all for your suggestions about things to see and do.  Their is so much to do in that city, there is no way we could have done it all.

The house we stayed in was within easy walking distance from downtown so we wandered down there Friday night.  After spending about three and a half hours in the car the walk was very welcome.  We didn't have a destination, just exploring, when we found the old Woolworth's Store which has been converted into an art gallery and is now called Woolworth Walk.  I'd heard about this place so I wanted to see it.  Besides, I have some fond memories of shopping for toys as a kid in my local Woolworth Store.  They call it an art gallery but it has more of a co-op or collective feel to it.  Each artist has an area that they have set up for their display.  It's like a bunch of little rooms.  Of course in this type of setting you're going to see a wide variety of art and styles.  We only got to go through the main floor before the place closed and they kicked us out but we still got to see a lot of great stuff.  For nostalgia buffs they still have the old soda fountain in operation but I didn't get a root beer float because of the hour.  So sad.

From there we wandered around and enjoyed the vibrancy of the street.  Asheville is alive with music, jugglers, dancing and drumming in the park.  Even the liquor store had a band.



Here's a very short video I took of the drumming in the park, I hope you enjoy it.  We was a great time.

Check out the gallery page - Future Relics Gallery by Lori Buff

Comments

  1. Glad you had a good time...yes, there's only so much you can see in one visit...so be sure to come back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, I do intend to go back, I still need to explore a lot of places and visit Black Mountain... I may even try to get my pottery in a gallery or two.

      Delete
  2. Lucky You! I was there such a short time this summer that it was just a tease. Can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel lucky, but it was only a 3 day weekend so it was too short also.

      Delete
  3. I have got to get up there one of these days, sounds like so much fun, Woolworths, those old five and dimes were great, or maybe that was the name of one too. there used to be another one called sprouse reitz I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do Linda. I think the 5 and dime was a different store, I did see a 5, 10 and 25 cents store in Asheville, I thought "inflation."

      Delete
  4. There is soooo much to see and do in Asheville, it's impossible to make only one trip! You aren't that far away though. If you like to camp, there are some great places up on the Blue Ridge Parkway, less expensive than staying in Asheville. We try to do a camping trip up that way at least once a year and spend a day in Asheville. The Highlands Craft Guild is also a place you really should visit, you would love it there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts