You may remember me writing about loading the first soda kiln with the class I’m taking at Callanwolde Fine Arts Center. We opened that like last night and it looked great but I did have a couple pots that didn’t work out as planed. One was a lidded jar that now has a stuck on lid. The other was an oval casserole that caught a drip of some shmutz from the kiln. I may be able to repair those pots so I’ll leave them out of this blog post. I’ll show them to you, and discuss the fixes once they are complete. Cross your fingers for success for those pots.
I did have two steins turn out great. I had painted some color on them with underglaze but the soda bleached out most of the color. This was a bit of a learning experience for me. I think they look great without the color. This is something I need to explore. I may just limit the underglaze to accent colors on some imagery. Of course who knows ever where these experiments will take us.
|Dragon Green Mug|
|Sugar Skull Stein|