Skip to main content

Featured

Golden Cloud

via Instagram https://ift.tt/2Je4P64

EnergyXchange Residency

One of the coolest places I've visited is offering two clay residencies and one glass residency. You have no idea how much I wish I could do this. I visited there when I was at Penland for a workshop a couple of years ago and I've been fascinated with it ever since. They are doing some pretty cool stuff there.

EnergyXchange Gallery
Besides studios they also have a gallery so residents have the opportunity to sell their work. They also need to do some work in the gallery which is really valuable experience. There are also green houses, a palet kiln and all sorts of other interesting things to make life fascinating.

The EnergyXchange is built above an old landfill that has since been covered over and looks more like a scenic pasture in the Black Mountains of North Carolina. With landfills comes methan gas which isn't great for the environment. So they harness this methan gas to make art. It's what powers the glass shop and the gas kilns. They also have an impressive array of solar panels to provide electricity. The palets for the wood kiln are from nearby industrys that can only use the palets a limited number of times and then they must be destroyed. Throwing them in the kiln is better than putting them in a landfill.
If you're looking for a place to do a residency apply here. If you're ever in the area go visit. It's awesome.
Check out the gallery page - Future Relics Gallery by Lori Buff

Comments

  1. Oh to be young and able to do a lengthy residency! I wish I had been able to get into clay sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. same as Michele's wishes, Gary used to haul pallets in Arkansas, they were made of hardwood. I've seen some pretty cool pieces of furniture made from pallets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I've seen some great stuff made out of old pallets but I tried to take one appart once and it was WAY too much like work. You gotta respect what goes into them.

      Delete
  3. My friend Teresa Pietsch just finished up her residency there, I think she really grew as an artist while she was there, I worked with her as a fellow studio assistant several years ago. you should go for it, if you really want it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey, I'll bet your friend did grow there. I really wish I could go but I've got some really good reasons to be happy staying in here too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts