Skip to main content

Featured

Golden Cloud

via Instagram https://ift.tt/2Je4P64

Cha-Cha-Cha-Changes

The title of this blog is deceptive. I’m not writing about David Bowie. He was a great artist and influenced people for decades. I’m sure someone can or has already written something about him and his legacy that is much better than what I could write. I do have memories of playing on our back yard swing set singing “Major Tom” when I was a kid, his music greatly influenced me, it’s just that better writers can do his life’s work justice.

I’m talking about changes in how I’ll be doing some stuff around here, on this blog. You may have noticed that I was away from it for several weeks. I was busy cranking out 500 mugs for the Penland School of Crafts benefit auction and dealing with Christmas at the same time. I decided to stop writing the blog so I would not waist my time writing how many mugs I made yesterday or something like that. It seemed rather boring. I did learn a lot from the experience and I do plan to write about that very soon.
Ceramic Luna Moth Mug by Future Relics Gallery
Luna Moth Mug

Lately I’ve been evaluating where I’m spending my time and how it’s paying off. In the business world that is referred to as ROI or Return on Investment. As much as I like to consider myself an artist and a craftsperson I also have to consider myself a business person because I didn’t win the lottery. So I’ve found a few places where I’m doing a lot of work for very little money. I have had to let them go. The idea is that I will then have the time I would have spent on plan A to work on plan B in the hopes that plan B gives me more rewards for my time. We shall see.

I am not giving up the blog entirely but I will be posting less often. I feel like enjoying quality content is a better use of your time and mine. Sometimes sitting silently with someone is a way of connecting. I hope that we can sit silently with each other (no matter the distance) and still connect.

I do intend to make some new pots, I’m going to stretch what I do because I have this opportunity at Callanwolde Fine Arts Center and I need to take advantage of it. I’ll show successes and failures because someone might learn from that.

I’ve linked the blog to my Instagram feed, so you might just see lots more pictures. We will see how that works. If you’re on instagram and want to follow me I’d appreciate it and I will follow you back.

I hope you all stick around for this new blog style. I might even change the layout of the blog, just to continue with the changes theme.

Thanks y’all.

Check out the gallery page - Future Relics Gallery by Lori Buff

Comments

  1. new year, new approach, I am doing the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been feeling the exact same way, trying to evaluate my time and decide which direction I want to go in. Torn between what sells at the farmer's market the best and what I like to make, so hard to balance the two. This year I'm not showing in one gallery and added another venue to replace that and joining some new guilds too; we shall see. Must figure out the instagram thingy soon as so many are posting there. As I understand it I would need to post with my smart phone is that right ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Linda, you’d need a smart phone to post to instagram but you can view images on http://instagram.com.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts